Friday, May 15, 2009

A Sad Day





The night before last at 8:45 pm, our beloved cat, Grumbles died of kidney disease in our home. (He is the grey cat in the pictures.)Both Gary and I were at his side. He was our best friend and our son. Gary knew him for almost 15 years, and I knew him for 10. We will miss him so much. He leaves a big empty hole in our house. He was one of the most loving, gentle beings we ever met. I just feel kind of numb and depressed. It's hard.

Yesterday, Gary had off work and I cleared my schedule. After we buried Grumbles in our yard, we drove to the country and went for a short hike. Afterwards, we sat in lounge chairs out at the edge of the wood, and napped and watched birds. The spot we were in was FULL of bluebirds, which I thought was ironic since blue birds are symbolic of being the "blue birds of happiness" and we were feeling so sad. We also saw blue buntings which have a vivid irridescent blue that is like glowing sapphires. There were yellow finches, red cardinals, sparrows, ruby throated hummingbirds, and many more. We even saw a wild turkey. We were lucky it was a perfectly sunny day, because right after Grumbles died the night before, the skies opened up and there was a tremendous rain storm, as if the heavens themselves were crying.

It will take time to heal, and it hit home when we came home last night, and Grumbles was not there.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss, as a family we know what it's like to lose a much loved animal - they are part of your family too. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry about your loss. I lost my 13 year old kitty on April. I feel your sorrow, indeed. When they shaved his little leg to inject him, I saved the fur in my wallet.
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments. I also saved a little bit of fur and a whisker, and I wrote down every little characteristic I could think of about him....

    ReplyDelete